Monday, March 27, 2017

Singing through the hymnal: week 13




Verse: Jeremiah 10:12

I feel like I say this every week, but this week's hymn is one of my all time favorite hymns. There is something wonderful about singing of the power of God and all He has done and can do. The God who controls all these things loves and died to save me.

I included an alternate tune that some people sing this text to above which is also beautiful. This is the tune that is in the hymnal I am using.

Psalm 19 is a great text to read to your children before singing this hymn, especially verses 1-4. I am going to sing the first verse with my children, but all three are wonderful!



Fun Facts

Text: Isaac Watts (1674-1748)
  • Watts' hymns were filled with controversy because people thought he shouldn't be writing modern hymns to replace Psalms (some things never change in church music). Even though there was great division over his hymns, I am so thankful he wrote them!
  • He loved children and wrote many nursery rhymes and actually published one of the first hymn collections of children - one of the hymns in this collection is what we now know as "I sing the Mighty Power of God."

Tune: Traditional English Melody FOREST GREEN Arr. Vaughn Williams (1872-1958)


  • This tune is also used for the English version of "O Little Town of Bethlehem" and is one of my favorite tunes. 
  • He is known for being one of the best hymn tune writers of all time.

Remember to order you copy of the hymnal we are singing through if you still need a hymnal!



    Things to think about ...
    • You can focus on God's power in creation. Show your children pictures of the things mentioned in each phrase.
    • This is a wonderful hymn to sing if you are doubting the goodness or power of God. Singing truths about God will often help us believe them in our hearts. 
    • This talks about God's omnipotence and omnipresence - really wonderful truths to teach your children
    • Ask your children what things they see around them that show God's power
        

    No comments:

    Post a Comment