Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Day 36 - Your will be done

     We are entering the final few days of our Gospel of John journey. No matter how many times I read this book, I always learn something new and grow deeper. I have so enjoyed reading and studying with my children this time around.


     The countdown to Jesus' execution has begun. A series of events unfolds before us. On a narrative level, Ryken tells us that the story conveys the chaotic nature of what is happening as it would have been observed by an eyewitness. The sequence is as follows:

1. Jesus is betrayed by Judas and arrested in the garden (1-11)
2. Narrative account of Jesus' removal to face Annas the high priest (12-14)
3. Peter's denial of Jesus (15-18, 25-27)
4. Questioning of Jesus by Jewish authorities (19-24)

     Thematically, we can see Jesus, the Son of God, the Messiah, being rejected by people. We also read the Jesus says "I AM He." If there was any doubt in any one's mind who Jesus is, He clearly stated that He was God. I find this an interesting contrast to Peter's denial of "I am not." It is also interesting to read of many details of people knowing one another and names being mentioned or being related in this section. This further supports that all these things are true and written down by an eyewitness.




  • Reading: John 18-1-27
  • Memory passage: John 14:1-6
  • Memory passage: Matthew 28:1-10 - I am going to begin reviewing the Resurrection passage with my children. We learned the story from Matthew, but you could also work any of the other Gospels. 
  • Memory verse: John 18:4-5
  • Songs for meditation: Gethsemane and Thy Way, Not Mine O Lord
  • Song:  How Deep the Father's Love for Us
  • Activity: I will talk in detail about the power of Jesus' name and how all the people drew back and fell to the ground. We will go into more detail next week during Passion week. 
  • Meditation: Isaiah 53:1-12



  • No comments:

    Post a Comment