Friday, December 14, 2018

Day 15: The Promise of a Good Shepherd

Another Shepherd was coming - a greater Shepherd. He would be called the Good Shepherd (JSB 135)

Read: Psalm 23
Jesus Storybook Bible:  The Good Shepherd (130-135)
The Ology: The Bible is Our Spiritual Food (233)
Sing: While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks
Savior, Like a Shepherd Lead Us


Think: John 10:11
Pray: Pray through the Psalm with your family,
 praising God that He is our Shepherd
Do:  Staff



For  You:
Psalm 23:1-6
Ezekiel 34:11-24
Luke 15:3-7
John 10:7-17


  Psalm 23: some of the first verses I memorized as a child and now, four of my children have memorized. I love these wonderful words. The days are few when I don't find myself reciting them as I rock my sweet baby, or as I put my older four to bed, or as we sit at the table, or as I calm one of them from a bad dream. When the nights are long and sleep eludes me, I say these words - over and over again.  These words are filled with comfort and hope because they point us to Jesus being our Shepherd - our very good shepherd. These are good words, because they are God's Words. Keep coming back to them. Say them as you rise and sit and work and play and drive and run. God provides for His people, because He is our good shepherd.


Isaac Watts wrote this beautiful text based on Psalm 23.

My Shepherd will supply my need:
Jehovah is His Name;
In pastures fresh He makes me feed,
Beside the living stream.
He brings my wandering spirit back
When I forsake His ways,
And leads me, for His mercy’s sake,
In paths of truth and grace.

When I walk through the shades of death
Thy presence is my stay;
One word of Thy supporting breath
Drives all my fears away.
Thy hand, in sight of all my foes,
Doth still my table spread;
My cup with blessings overflows,
Thine oil anoints my head.

The sure provisions of my God
Attend me all my days;
O may Thy house be my abode,
And all my work be praise.
There would I find a settled rest,
While others go and come;
No more a stranger, nor a guest,
But like a child at home.

  Tidings and Tidbits:
  • There are many settings of Psalm 23 that are good and worth listening to. Here is a more modern setting that I love and sing with the kids often, and here is an older setting that has a beautiful melody
  • There are also many ways you could make today's ornament. We are making shepherd/staff shaped gingerbread cookies later today and will talk about Jesus as the good shepherd and learn verses as we make the cookies
  • Talk about sheep and shepherds with your children. Look up pictures to show them.

No comments:

Post a Comment