Friday, November 30, 2018

Day 1: God's Good Word

"Whatever happened, whatever it cost Him, He would always love them." (JSB 27)


This year, we are celebrating God's promises from Genesis to Revelation. This first story is a happy one and so special. I like how David Helm calls it "the very good beginning."  He created this world and all that is in it. We don't learn much about God's promises today, except we do learn that His Word is powerful and perfect, beautiful and creative, splendid and strong. God's Word from the very beginning has been good and right and true. This is the God who will give and keep His promises. How wonderful that He shows us in the very first story how very good His Word and work is - forever and always. 


We love to garden, yes, even the process of gardening.  We have always loved choosing and ordering the seeds. Days go by as we impatiently await their arrival in the mail and then carefully read the instructions for each cute little bag.  We (let's be realistic....I) do the yucky weeding.  I get blisters on my hands and dirt on my face and stains on my clothes and bugs in my hair (ewww!). Well, besides the blisters, the kids get more contact with the dirt, stains, and bugs than I do!  Some seeds are planted indoors and others are planted directly in the ground.  We water and wait ... and wait ... at last! The seeds sprout! We water, weed, and watch with joy as our plants grow.

The season of Advent reminds me of the gardening process. Just as I want to involve my children in gardening, I want even more to seize the opportunity to plant the seeds of the Greatest Story within the hearts and minds of my children.  They are never too young. They are never too old. I cannot make my children believe this wonderful story, but I can be faithful to sow the seeds.  And like the sun and rain grows a tiny seed in our garden, the Word of God can grow and change us! I can show my children how the greatest of all stories has rescued me and is changing me. But roll up your sleeves, because even though there aren't bugs involved, it is work ... but the best kind of work. This is Eternal Work!


    I have been thinking about the similarities of Genesis 1 and John 1. God spoke a word, and the world was created. In John 1, God sent The Word to us. A new kind of beginning - God has come to us. Celebrate this today! The beginning of December is here already,  and there is no better place to begin the Advent season than in Genesis 1 with the best of beginnings.



For your kids

                                                       Read: Creation 
  • Jesus Storybook Bible: The Beginning (18-27)
  • Big Picture Story Bible: The Very Good Beginning (15-35)
  • The Ology: God Created Everything out of Nothing at All (18-21)
  • The Gospel Story Bible (first story)
  • The Beginners' Gospel Story Bible (first story)


              Sing:  Joy Has Dawned
                        All Creatures of Our God and King

              Think: God's Word has always been powerful, good, right, and true.

               Memorize: Genesis 1:1; John 1:1

               Do:  Earth



For you: God's Word from the very beginning is good. It will continue to be good until the very end.
Genesis 1:1-31
John 1:1-14
Colossians 1:15-20



























No comments:

Post a Comment