Sunday, December 31, 2017

Singing in the New Year: Keep Singing



   Well, here we are. We did it! We sang through a hymnal! I have learned so much and am singing many of these hymns with greater understanding and passion now. I am also thankful that my children have learned so many of these truth-filled songs. Thank you for those of you who sang along in your homes this year, and I hope the truths of Scripture through these songs strengthened your faith and soothed your soul.

 
  Most of us are probably partying hard tonight ... or going to bed early, but I thought I'd give us a few hymns to sing this week as we ring in the new year. These are hymns of commitment that I have saved and are perfect for a time of new beginnings.


Be Thou My Vision - I have linked to an unfamiliar tune, but my favorite arrangement that I love to let wash over my soul.

Text: Ancient Irish hymn, 8th c.

  • this is one of the oldest (non-Christmas) texts that we sing today. I love singing old texts with my children and reminding them that the universal church/God's people have been singing this for centuries
  • Mary Byrne translated the Irish words into English in 1905. It was made into poetry in 1912 by Eleanor Hull.
Tune: SLANE Irish folk melody
  • comes from a folk song about the Hill of Slane (small village by the River Boyne)
  • Reportedly, this tune was written for St. Patrick when he defied the king and lit a candle before a pagan spring festival to celebrate the resurrection in A.D. 433.
Think: 
  • This hymn is a prayer - our spiritual vision is impaired by living in a sinful world. Only God can help us see clearly
  • Notice the word "Vision" is capitalized - God Himself is our Vision


Text: Frances R. Havergal (1836-1879)
  • Frances has been called a bright but short-lived candle in English hymnody
  • singer and pianist
  • her primary goal was to be a "personal spiritual benefit upon others"
  • below is the story of her writing what she called this "consecration hymn"
"I went for a little visit of five days. There were ten persons in the house, some unconverted and long prayed for, some converted but not rejoicing Christians. He gave me the prayer, "Lord, give me all in this house!" And He just did! Before I left the house everyone had got a blessing. The last night of my visit I was too happy to sleep, and passed most of the night in praise and renewal of my own consecration, and these little couplets formed themselves and chimed in my heart one after another, till they finished with, "Ever, ONLY, ALL for Thee!"

Tune: Henri Abraham Cesar Malan (1787-1864) HENDON
  • a pastor and hymn-writer
  • most remembered as an originator of the modern hymn movement in the French Reformed Church
  • He was once removed from ministry for preaching a sermon on salvation by faith alone in Christ alone
  • HENDON is a village in England and was assigned to this tune by Lowell Mason (the hymn's first publisher)
Think: 
  • this is a song or prayer of aspiration. That means to hope and work toward something
  • these words should not be sung lightly. 
  • when we fail, confess to God and thank Him for being patient with us in our sin
  • Read Philippians 2:13


Text: Kate B. Wilkinson (1859-1928)
  • She was a member of an Anglican church in London
  • She helped young women on the west side of London
  • First published in a children's hymnal Golden Bells in 1925
Tune: Arthur Cyril Barham-Gould (1891-1953) St. LEONARDS
  • Anglican priest at All Souls' Church, Holy Trinity Church, and St. Paul's, Onslow Square
  • He composed this tune for this text while living at St. Leonards-by-the-sea England.
Think: 
  • Philippians 2:5-9 and Romans 12:1-2
  • Each stanza adds to the picture of what having the mind of Christ looks like (where the Word dwells richly, where God's peace rules, where Jesus' love fills us)
  • Stanza 5 asks for perseverance of a runner (Hebrews 12:12)
  • Stanza 6 is a prayer for God's beauty and for His love and character to rest on us
  • We are, to educate our minds in our culture, but even more importantly, we are to do what Romans 12:2 says

Thank you for singing with me. Keep singing and teach your children to sing!sin


No comments:

Post a Comment