Sunday, September 24, 2017

Singing through the Hymnal: week 39!




Verse: Psalm 35:28
Hymn: O for a Thousand Tongues to sing


                  What a wonderful gift we have to give our children by singing all these wonderful words from saints of old to our great God. I vividly remember learning this hymn as a child at my church. One thing I am so thankful for now is that my mom had me memorize all the stanzas of these hymns. This hymn is a great one to learn all the stanzas to because they are so short. I would encourage you to sing more than one stanza with your children this week. One thing I love about this hymn is there are many words describing God and what He has done for us. If you have older children, make a list of all the names and descriptors you find.
     
                I am overflowing with love for hymns and congregational singing after this past week (if that's even possible to love them more than I already did). I was able to go to the first Getty Sing Conference. The singing was amazing! I was also very excited to find the the compiler of our hymnal was there. I was able to meet him and take a picture. What a joy to meet someone who has put so much time into helping me and so many others put such rich theological texts into our children's hearts. Make sure you sign up to go to the conference next year. It will be focusing on the Psalms, and I anticipate that it will be deep, rich, encouraging, and thought provoking.








                                                                  Fun Facts

Text: Charles Wesley (1707-1788)
  • He wrote this hymn on the first anniversary of his conversion
  • It was originally 18 verses!
  • The first stanza we sing was originally stanza seven
  • His brother John put it in his 1779 Collection of Hymns for the Use of the People called Methodists

Tune: Carl Gotthelf Glaser (1784-1829) AZMON
  • German music teacher and composer
  • this tune is commonly used in America (another tune it used in England - which you have probably also heard)
  • Azmon is near the southern border of Israel and means strength in numbers
 
   




Remember to order you copy of the hymnal we are singing through if you still need a hymnal!



    Things to think about As You Sing ...
    • Our hymnal asks - can you sing about your conversion? What things about God saving you are you most thankful for? Have your children sing to you what they are thankful for.
    • Write down a list this week of attributes of God that you are thankful for. Take one each day to praise Him for. 
    • Susannah Wesley is one of the heroes of the faith. There are many wonderful books on her. Check some of them out.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment