Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Singing through they Hymnal: week 27




Verse: Matthew 7:25
Hymn: The Solid Rock

            Once again, we are singing one of my favorite hymns. I taught the children at our church this hymn, and I hope that even when I am old I will always remember how joyfully and well they sang this song! We are coming off of a holiday (July 4) and this is a great hymn to remember where our true hope is found. I am deeply thankful for my country and its freedoms, but I am even more thankful that my hope is built on nothing less than Jesus and His blood and His righteousness. My country will disappoint me at times and it may even crumble at some point, but Jesus, the very Word of God in the flesh is eternal and will never change or falter. Remind your children (and yourself) of this truth this week. Believer, do not get so caught up in ups and downs of the politics of the day. Place your trust and focus on Christ. Be an example to your children and your children's children by leaning all of your hope on Jesus.
         
     
   

                                                                  Fun Facts

Text: Edward Mote (1797-1874)
  • He came to Christ as a teenager
  • He was a cabinet maker and then became a pastor
              He explained this hymn below:
 
 "One morning it came into my mind...to write a hymn on the 'Gracious Experience of a Christian.' As I went up to Holborn I had the chorus: On Christ the Solid Rock I stand. All other ground is sinking sand. In the day I had four verses complete, and wrote them off. On the Sabbath following, I met brother King...who informed me that his wife was very ill, and asked me to call and see her. He said that it was his usual custom to sing a hymn, read a portion, and engage in prayer before he went to meeting. I said, ' I have some verses in my pocket; if he liked, we would sing them.' We did, and his wife enjoyed them so much ...I went home, and by the fireside composed the last two verses, wrote the whole off, and took them to sister King...As these verses so met the dying woman's case, my attention to them was the more arrested."

Tune: William B. Bradbury (1816-1868) SOLID ROCK
  • Also the writer for Jesus Loves Me
  • He wrote the tune SOLID ROCK specifically for this poem
  • The first 4 notes are supposed to picture building a tall building
  • "On Christ the Solid" are repeated notes to suggest we are standing on a strong platform
  • "Rock I Stand" takes a step up in melody as if stepping onto something even higher.
  • "All other ground is sinking sand" - the melody descends
  • These are all examples of something called word-painting and can really help us feel the emotion and identify with the text

Remember to order you copy of the hymnal we are singing through if you still need a hymnal!



    Things to think about ...
    • Read Psalm 46
    • Show your children pictures of rocks in the sea - Haystock Rock (Oregon Coast) is pictured above and is one of the most well-known monoliths in the world. Although it is buffeted constantly by tides and weather, it remains unchanging, immovable, and secure. How wonderful to tell our children and ourselves the truth that Christ and His work is even more unchanging and steadfast and secure. Even though we may change and our soul and faith may falter, Christ will never falter. Our salvation is dependent upon HIS unending faithfulness. Hallelujah!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment