Sunday, May 14, 2017

Singing through the hymnal: week 20




Verse: Psalm 19:7-10
Hymn: Thy Word is Like a Garden, Lord


          So, I had a really difficult time finding a recording for the traditional Irish melody, but have linked to this here. I am guessing that this is most likely an unfamiliar text and tune to many of you. I decided not to skip this one, because this poem is so important for children's hearts - they need to know what a treasure the Word of God is ... I need to know and remember that too. There is a beautiful arrangement by Dan Forrest here and then another tune called Bethlehem that I found to be more prevalent. If you are unfamiliar with the tune, it can be a bit tricky, so I would encourage you to at least read the poem with your children several times this week.

         Our church is doing a series on the Word of God this summer in Psalm 119. It is always interesting to see how the Holy Spirit works in little details like us focusing on a song about the Word of God. This song focuses on the beauties and wonders of the Bible. There are also similes used. We, of course know that all similes and metaphors will fall short when describing the Word of God, but they can be helpful as we seek to understand spiritual things. My family is memorizing Psalm 119 this summer - maybe you should join us! The best way to keep God's Word with us and to treasure it is to memorize it.





"Thy Word is like a garden, Lord, with flowers bright and fair;
and ev'ryone who seeks may pluck a lovely cluster there.
Thy Word is like a deep, deep mine; and jewels rich and rare
are hidden in its mighty depths for every searcher there,
for every searcher there.

Thy Word is like a starry host; a thousand rays of light 
are seen to guide the traveler and make his pathway bright.
Thy Word is like an armory, where soldiers may repair;
and find, for life's long battle day, all needful weapons there, 
all needful weapons there.

O May I love Thy precious Word, may I explore the mine, 
may I its fragrant flowers glean, may light upon me shine!
O may I find my armor there! Thy Word my trusty sword,
I'll learn to fight with every foe the battle of the Lord,
the battle of the Lord." 

    Another hymn that you can learn this week is called Every Promise of Your Word. This hymn is written in a wonderful way that children so that children can participate with the repeated phrases. This is one of my favorite new hymns because it helps me and my children to remember that we can trust the promises of God. It is written by Keith and Kristyn Getty and Stuart Townend. This hymn is a modern version of an older 19th century hymn that you may know called Standing on the Promises of God. When you sing this hymn, remind your children that we can never keep all our promises, but God is all-powerful and always will keep His promises. The hymnal I am using defines standing on a promise in this way: "to fully rely and trust that the promise will happen just as it has been given." 


Fun Facts

Text: Edwin Hodder (1837-1904)
  • He wrote hymns in his spare time
  • This was originally in his Sunday school hymn book named Holy Scripture
Tune: CLONMEL Traditional Irish Melody
  • this tune was adapted to these word in 1952 by William J. Reynolds - a baptist publisher and musician

Remember to order you copy of the hymnal we are singing through if you still need a hymnal!



    Things to think about ...
    • Psalm 19 or 119 would be good Psalms to read to your children this week. 
        

    No comments:

    Post a Comment