Thursday, March 2, 2017

Lent: a season for enjoying Jesus

     

     Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, and is an important day for many. And although in my days I selfishly thought I should receive gifts on a day named after me, I now realize it is the day that kicks off the season of Lent. Even though my family isn't formally observing Lent, it is still a good place to start in teaching my children Who Jesus is. So whatever you choose to do (or not to do as the case may be with Lent) with your family, I pray your motivations will be grounded in these five statements:


  • Sola Fide, by faith alone.
  • Sola Scriptura, by Scripture alone.
  • Solus Christus, through Christ alone.
  • Sola Gratia, by grace alone.
  • Soli Deo Gloria, glory to God alone.
     The parties are over for some, but not for my family. The joy is just beginning. As I read again of who Jesus is and what He has done for me, I long for heaven and to be with Him. I am reminded of what Aslan says to the children in the book The Last Battle: "You do not yet look so happy as I mean you to be...The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended: this is the morning (210)." This is the joy we are to long for and to prepare for. Joy is ours because of Jesus. So instead of ashes and mourning at my house, we have turned that into dancing. And one day, our joy will be complete when we will be with Jesus, because we will see Him as He is. Let's be purposeful in our thinking and teaching. Let's rejoice in God's goodness to us through the Gospel (the suffering, death, and resurrection of Jesus granting us forgiveness of sins and eternal life with God). 

I will be posting some readings at the beginning of each week. There are many books you could choose from. Last year, I went through the Gospel of John with my children. This year, I am going to use the season of Lent to go through the Gospel of Mark with them. The resource I have chosen for myself this year is called Habits of GracePlease consider downloading this book and going through it with me as we enjoy Jesus through spiritual disciplines. 



No comments:

Post a Comment