Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Advent Day 0 - Preparation


An Introduction to Advent: The Fullness of Jesus


     I began this journey three years ago as I researched what I wanted to do with my own children during Advent. My goal was to get as many resources in one place as possible in order to make this accessible to all ages. I have a 5 year old, a 3 year old, and an 18 month old, and an almost 4 week old ... yes, we are tired. We read every morning after breakfast, because that's what works for us. We make it fun and make it a habit. Please don't shy away just because you think your children are too young ... or too old. They are NOT! Read the stories. Read the verses. Shorten them if you need to. Lengthen them if you need to. Talk about the theme, or simply read the theme verse. Repeat it throughout the day. My goal is to make this as easy and accessible to people as possible in order to teach their children diligently. But this will depend on some preparation and thought and purpose and faithfulness. This is the best legacy we can leave our children. Join me in my 31 day journey from Genesis to Revelation as we follow the pathway of God's promises to celebrate the fullness of Jesus. My favorite resource for doing this is The Biggest Story.

     Not every resource is used every day. Each resource has interesting and unique art included. To help with determining which resource is best for your child (or yourself), here are some suggestions:

   I also included a student's hymnal, Hosanna Loud Hosanna, in the resource list. If you don't have this one, grab whatever hymnal you have and open it up with your children and sing! Having a hymnal is one of the best tools and resources you have to train your child with the truths of Jesus. 

 Some other fun resources that I thoroughly enjoy with my family are the Jacquie Lawson Advent calendar (it does cost, but is worth it!), and Professor Carol which I really enjoy personally. 


And here are a few new resources you might be interested in this season. All of them look excellent.



      

1 comment:

  1. Hooray! It is advent time again! Excited for you and the littles and for me, too!

    ReplyDelete