Sunday, March 20, 2016

Day 40 - What will you do with this Jesus?


     I feel like I'm saying farewell to a dear friend today. These last 40 days have been so good for me. I have grown and learned so much. Most of all, I have loved reading this book with my children, and I am amazed at how much they have soaked in and have remembered. I shouldn't be surprised - the Bible is God's powerful and true Word and is able to make men (children) wise to salvation. Praying that the seeds planted will keep growing and will produce godly fruit.

     All of the Gospel writers provide evidence to prove the resurrection. John gave us much to consider in chapter 20, but he gives us even more evidence in today's reading. John has given us so many beautiful pictures of Jesus, but this one in chapter 21 is one of the most endearing portraits we have of Jesus. We see Jesus making breakfast for His disciples (4-14) and the restoration of Peter - in three phases to match his threefold denial - (15-19). Ryken says this is "the climactic call to love the sheep for whom the Good Shepherd died and to carry on the teaching ministry of Jesus that has pervaded John's Gospel."

     We have read of signs and the "I Ams" and seen countless people believe (and reject) Jesus. Take time today to review your board or go back and look through the entire book. What will you do with this Jesus? Will you believe He is who He says He is and proved He is?

     The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis. One of my favorite quotes from that book is when Aslan is talking to Avaris and says: “Child,” said the Lion, “I am telling you your story, not hers. No one is told any story but their own.” Reminds me of Jesus' conversation with Peter. In fact, I think that the last verse in this Gospel sounds much like the words we read in The Last Battle (also C.S. Lewis).  These last words are beautiful: "Now there are also many other things that Jesus did. Were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written" (John 21:25).  Who is this Jesus? He is the Son of God! Will you believe?






  • Reading: John 21:1-25
  • Memory passage: John 14:1-6
  • Memory passage: Matthew 28:1-10 - I am going to begin reviewing the Resurrection passage with my children. We learned the story from Matthew, but you could also work any of the other Gospels. 
  • Memory verse: John 21:25
  • Songs for meditation: All the Way my Savior Leads Me
  • Activity: Review your board today - the names, the faces, the signs, the stories. Ask them which is their favorite. Ask them what they remember.
  • Meditation: Psalm 23:1-6
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment