Sunday, March 3, 2019

Singing the Hymnal: week 10 This is My Father's World




Verse: Acts 4:24

This week's hymn is another favorite of mine and a well known text. God as Creator is the focus. There are wonderful and beautiful truths in this poetry. I think we can all identify with the author in having moments of our lives that we are so overcome by the beauty we see in our Creator. Our only proper response is praise!


A great chapter to read to your children this week is Psalm 19. I love this hymn for many reasons. I find myself singing this hymn in the most difficult of times on earth ... after a bombing, when a friend dies of cancer, when people hate and are divisive, when sin seems to be everywhere ... when I need desperate reminding that God is in control. It is a good thing to remember that the rocks and trees and birds will all cry out in praise to our God if we fail to do so. This is one of my favorite hymns to sing in the spring with everything blooming new again.
I will sing the first stanza with my children, but will review it often this year until they 
have it all memorized. 




This past week marks the beginning of Lent. I am protestant, so I generally do not participate, however, I do think this can be a good time to intentionally focus on the Gospel with your children. Instead of mourning, I am choosing to rejoice each day in the salvation that God has given me! I will be posting some readings that I will be doing personally with my children during this season as we prepare to remember the death and resurrection of Jesus, by whom we have received the forgiveness of our sins.


Fun Facts

Text: Maltbie Davenport Babcock (1858-1901)
  • He loved walking and this text (16 stanzas) was born out of seeing God's creation. 
  • Each stanza begins with "this is my Father's world."
  • this is one of the first American authors we have sung so far!

Tune: TERRA BEATA - Franklin L. Sheppard (1852-1930)
  • his mother sang an English melody to him as a child and inspired this hymn tune
  • TERRA BEATA means "blessed earth"

Remember to order you copy of the hymnal we are singing through if you still need a hymnal!



    Things to think about ...
    • you really cannot sing this song without God being your heavenly Father. If you don't know if your children believe, talk to them about God as Creator and show them His beauty. Explain to them what it mean's for God to be our Father (repentance and belief).
    • Take walks with your children often. Talk to your children in the car as you seen so many wonders of creation that we take for granted. Ask God to help you point your children to Him!
        

    No comments:

    Post a Comment