Saturday, March 16, 2019

A Season for Lent: To Do or Not To Do - Remembering what Jesus has already done


  Lent. This can be a loaded topic.  I did not grow up practicing Lent. It seems that there is a resurgence in our culture for many people in many denominations, including the Reformed tradition.

So what is Lent exactly? To summarize, Lent is a season of preparation for Passion week when people give up things to focus on the suffering of Christ. It begins on Ash Wednesday and concludes before Resurrection Sunday. I'm not going to take the time to go into that here, but you are welcome to do some research of your own. Here is a link that will give you some basic facts and another one to talk about some underlying questions.
 
  The more I researched, read, and studied my Bible, the more I became convinced that I wanted to go a different direction than most do for Lent. For us, it is about time and purpose. How do we spend our time? What takes priority in our time? If we want to focus on who Jesus is and what He came to do during this time of year, then we need to spend time and purpose to do that. For our family, that may mean that we do need to "give up" or "fast" from something that we normally do. Maybe we read another Bible story instead of that extra library book. Or maybe we cut out some minutes of technology and replace that with singing or something that purposefully focuses us on Jesus. With children, it is particularly important that if you "put off" something that you do "put on" something else. With this in mind, I like to think of what we will do as simply redeeming the time. In other words, I am going to plan and be tremendously purposeful in the time that I have with my children - at meal times, as we play, and as we drive.


 This should be a season full of devotion and joy: a season of grace. After all, we are preparing to celebrate the most important event in all of Christianity - the most important event in history! We want the story of salvation to enter the minds of our children and change their hearts and lives. So, rather than my focus being more on the physical appetites of my family and giving up something for Lent, as many/most people who observe it will do, I thought we would focus on the spiritual needs of my family instead. We will be practicing putting spiritual disciplines ON this season to go along with what we are already working on this year. The main disciplines we will be focusing on are: 1. Singing praise 2. Prayer 3. Reading the Word 4. Memorizing the Word - mainly Psalm 119.

  So, even though my family isn't formally observing Lent, it is still a good place to start in teaching my children Who Jesus is. So whatever you choose to do (or not to do as the case may be with Lent) with your family, I pray that you will remember what Christ has done on the cross for you and that He is the focus and not what we are doing or giving up during this season. Here are five statements that will keep you grounded as you think of Lent:


  • Sola Fide, by faith alone.
  • Sola Scriptura, by Scripture alone.
  • Solus Christus, through Christ alone.
  • Sola Gratia, by grace alone.
  • Soli Deo Gloria, glory to God alone.
     The season before Lent is known for its parties and pleasures. The parties are over for some, but not for my family. The joy is just beginning. As I read again of who Jesus is and what He has done for me, I long for heaven and to be with Him. I am reminded of what Aslan says to the children in the book The Last Battle: "You do not yet look so happy as I mean you to be...The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended: this is the morning (210)." This is the joy we are to long for and to prepare for. Joy is ours. Grace is ours because of Jesus. 




Below are several different resources if you are looking for some ideas to use during this season: We have roughly 40 days or 6 weeks until Resurrection Sunday, so pick which one interests you or fits the ages of your family.

Big Truths for Young Hearts by Bruce A. Ware
     This is a great resource for families or adults. Focused for children probably 5 and older, but parents could definitely read the short sections and the verses to younger children. My children are 6, 4, 2, and we read this to them. They are never too young to learn big truths about God!
             
The Ology by Marty Machowski
    Here is also some music that corresponds with this resource. I really don't have enough good things to say about this book. We have already been through this with our little children. They aren't catching everything the first time, but it gives me as a parent a great place to start. The illustrations are beautiful and there are verses that are paired with each lesson. You can start with the youngest of children.

Exploring Grace Together (40 devotionals for the family) by Jessica Thompson
    This is another excellent resource and fits perfectly in our 40 day theme. If you are looking for something to simply help you establish a pattern for family worship that is short and simple, then this is great!

The Discipline of Grace by Jerry Bridges
     I highly recommend this for teens and above. This would be a great resource for understanding grace and our sanctification (kind of plays into my thoughts on Lent).

Spiritual Discipline for the Christian Life by Donald S. Whitney
     An old one but a good one. This is one of my all time favorite books. I return to read it over and over again. If you haven't read it, please do. This is most suited for older teens and adults. That being said, I don't think children are too young to learn about spiritual disciplines - more on that later.

Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing - Sally Lloyd-Jones and Jago
     This is a simple way to get started with your family (from the young ones up). The devotionals are short and poetic and are very good.

Hosanna Loud Hosannas - hymnal for students
    Pricey, but worth it. I think you may be able to download it too. This is a wonderful resource if you have no idea where to start in teaching doctrine to your children through song. This is a great foundation to build on. My family takes at least one new hymn a week to focus on. My children are young, so don't let the young ages of your children prevent you from singing with them.

Children's Bible or Bible (Jesus StoryBookThe Big Picture Story BibleEgermeier's Bible )
    I use the ESV with my children. I do read to them from a children's Bible every day, but I also read to them straight out of the Bible and have them touch the pages so that they know where these living words come from. Even my little two year old and 8 month old can sit while I read a short section from the Bible each day.
There are also many rhyming Bibles for little ones out there if you just need something to get you started. These are all tools to help us get our children in the Word Itself.

   A Word of Caution - 

I post all these resources with a word of caution. I am very thankful for all these new resources for young families. These books make teaching our children the truths of Scripture much easier in some ways. However, do not let these resources be a substitute for the Word of God. Do not become lazy and merely let the books teach your children without seeking out God's Word for yourself. These are good books, but they are only tools to help lead us to Christ. Only God's Word is living and active and powerful enough to teach and train us for godliness through the Holy Spirit. Please use these resources, but do not neglect their Source. Know the Bible - know God - then teach your children.



 So ... be faithful. It is not always easy, and it certainly is not always fun, but the benefits are eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment