Monday, February 11, 2019

Committed to 150: Psalm 23 - Our Shepherd, Companion, and Host





Even though we did this a few weeks ago now, I wanted to post something about Psalm 23. This is probably the most famous Psalm and there are so many melodic interpretations you can find to listen to and sing with. I would suggest not only finding some of those melodies set to Psalm 23, but I would also suggest reading Psalm 23 in many different versions of the Bible. Something like Psalm 23 can become meaningless to us because it has become so familiar. Make sure to take time to pray through each line and to think about the words of this Psalm of David. 



Alec Motyer's translation and structure is beautiful. He divides this poem into three sections or pictures:
1. Yahweh as our Shepherd and we the sheep (vv. 1-3)
I WILL NOT LACK
2. Yahweh as our Companion and us as the travelers (v. 4)
I DO NOT FEAR EVIL
 3. Yahweh as our Host and we as His guests (vv. 5-6)
I WILL RETURN TO YAHWEH'S HOUSE FOREVER

1. Yahweh is my shepherd:
I will not lack.
2. In pastures of fresh grass he makes me lie.
Beside secure waters he guides me.
3. He restores my soul.
He leads me along tracks of righteousness, 
for the sake of his name.

4. Even when I am walking in the valley of deadly shadows
I do not fear evil,
Because you are ever with me:
Your rod and your staff reassure me.

5. You lay a table before me, 
in front of my adversaries.
You have refreshed my head with oil;
My cup is more than full!

6. But indeed good and committed love
will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will return to Yahweh's house for ever.


This Psalm takes us right to the Gospel. We know that Jesus is our Good Shepherd from John 10. He becomes our Companion as he walks beside us in our earthly valleys. But even more, He has become our glorious Savior who walked a lonely and painful road outside the city to enter into the deepest shadow. He walked alone so that we might not walk alone. He faced the greatest valley of all and defeated sin and death that we might be His everlasting guests in His forever dwelling place. God's love, care, and provision for His people is overflowing in this song of David. It is a song about the Greater David and what He has done for us. 


WORDS TO WATCH FOR
and
QUESTIONS TO ASK

Be on the look out for words like shepherd, death, anoint, dwell, forever. This is the kind of language that makes a great springboard conversation into the Gospel with your family. You can ask questions like: 
Where else do we read of Shepherds in Scripture? Did you know that Jacob spoke of the "God who has been my shepherd all my life."

Where else do we look when we think of God's provision and His people not lacking? In the wilderness

Where do you think of when you hear or read the word dwell? Do you think of the Tabernacle? Do you think of John 1 and Jesus coming down to dwell and tabernacle among His people? 


That gives you some way to get kids thinking in context of the entire Bible and you can go to the Gospel from there. 



I loved what Michael Wilcock said when summing up this Psalm:

"In other words, the confidence of Psalm 23 is that of one who is steeped in the theology of those earlier days, when God made his covenant with his people. David knows that God. And since he is the eternal Lord, his people are not surprised to find him as the New Testament Shepherd too: the good Shepherd, the great Shepherd, the chief Shepherd who will one day appear with glory that will never fade away, and who will lead them to springs of living water."  (TBST series p. 87)




Tips, Tricks and Songs
  • Google Psalms coloring pages. (Pinterest would also be helpful). I am going to have a piece of art or something for my children to color for each Psalm. This will use another sense to help them remember, and it will also help Scripture to be tangible for them
  • If you are the artistic sort (I envy you), try drawing each Psalm or writing it out in calligraphy to help you remember and understand it
  • hymnary.org will be your friend. Search for Psalm 1, and you will find several texts to sing
  • Consider buying The Book of Psalms for Worship. I believe you can purchase a version that is downloadable for an iPad  - this just helps get the words/emphasis of the Psalm in your brain using music. This will help you retain the meaning better. 
  • Use technology to help you memorize (if that does help you) - I am using the Bible memory app and have a group Committed to 150 that you can join. This app sets up review and uses different ways to help you remember the verses. I am still figuring it out, because I tend to just memorize as I work on it with the children. This is a good way to keep track of what you have done and to set up review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment