Monday, December 3, 2018

Day 4: Consider the Stars - God's Everlasting Promise

God's Great Promise

God created the sun in Genesis 1, Abraham believed God when looking up at the stars,  and the Psalmist spoke often of the sky declaring the glory of God. Stars declaring God's glory and presence ... there was another time a star was mentioned, a special star that proclaimed that the glory of God had come down to earth. Jesus' face shone like the sun at the transfiguration. Can you see how stars and God's glory are etched throughout all of Scripture? And yet, this isn't the end. We come to Revelation and find that we will have no need for the sun in the presence of God, because the Lord Himself will be our star, our light! We will be in the presence of the glory of God. 

For Your Kids

Read: God's promise to Abraham
  • Jesus Storybook Bible: Son of Laughter (56-61)
  • Big Picture Story Bible: God's Big Promise (67-81)
  • The Biggest Story: Chapter 3 (44-53)
  • The Ology: God Makes a Promise (73)
  • The Gospel Story Bible: God Makes a Covenant with Abram (18-19)
Sing: O Come all ye Faithful (kids can pick up the chorus to this quickly)
The God of Abraham Praise (go here for info on this hymn we have sung this year)

Think: Genesis 15:6
Pray: Praise God for the stars that help us remember His promise
Do: Camel

For You
Genesis 12:1-9
Genesis  15:1-21; 17:1-8, 15-19
Matthew 1:1
Hebrews 11:8-12





     If we were amazed by God's promise to Noah yesterday, today is even more amazing. God makes a BIG promise to a man we know as Abraham and to his descendants. Can you imagine God speaking to Abraham and telling him to go out and count the stars?
I have always imagined the sky being thick with stars as Abraham looks up and is overwhelmed by the greatness, power, and majesty of God. I would love to have seen Abraham the moment that he believed God. I wonder if his eyes got big, or if he simply smiled and just knew God's promise was true? Part of me wonders if he burst into song in adoration of the splendor of what he saw. Whatever happened, we know that Abraham did believe God, and it was counted to him as righteousness (Romans 4:22-24). The rest of the Bible speaks of this but more on that tomorrow.

     Abraham had faith even though what God promised seemed impossible. God, in His grace, gave the stars for Abraham to actually see. When I find myself in the shoes of Adam and Eve - doubting the goodness of God instead of obeying His good word, or laughing at God's good word in disbelief as Sarah did instead of simply trusting, I too, can go out and look at the stars and remember God's promise to Abraham. I too, have this visible reminder that God ALWAYS keeps His promises. We are surrounded by God's good and faithful Word to us.

     At my house (in the country), it is so dark at night. I have seen stars before, but I have NEVER seen stars like we do where we live now. Night after night, we go outside and show our children the wonder of God's majesty in creation. All of us look up in complete awe and wonder. We sing Psalms together and declare the praise of our great God. One song I always think of now when I go out to stargaze with my children is Consider the Stars.   I find myself wanting to shout in amazement at the stars and yet also being completely speechless and brought to my knees at how small I am.

    This story is for us and for our children. This is not simply a story about Abraham. In Romans 4:22-24, Paul writes that if we believe in Jesus, our faith will be counted to us as righteousness just like Abraham's faith was counted to him as righteousness!  God knew Abraham and Sarah would fail, but God's promise was bigger than their sin. God's promise is bigger than my sin (Praise the Lord!). God's promise to us and to our children is that we are not saved by the good things we do, but we are saved by trusting in what Jesus has done for us. The book of Acts tells us that all that is required is for us for salvation is to believe on the name of the Lord Jesus. This is the promise of the Gospel. As you see the stars, remember, God's everlasting promise to bless all peoples of the earth through the Gospel.

Tidings and tidbits:
  • Here is a fun idea for making the ornaments for your advent tree
  • The hymn for today is a great text to teach your children if you don't know it already
  • Take your kids out if it's a clear night and tell them to try to count the stars. Talk about the God who made all those stars is the same God who promised Jesus to be our Rescuer.
  • Look up pictures taken by the Hubble Telescope. Show your children the majesty of God.

Resource Corner

If you are still looking for a Christmas gift for kids or grandkids, let me recommend Fool Moon RisingThis is a wonderful little story about how our lives should reflect the light of Jesus just like the moon reflects the light of the sun. What I like most about this book is that it also rhymes. Perfect for little people to listen to and to remember. This is a favorite on our book shelf! 

Every family should have a hymnal! If you want a good way to reach your children's hearts, teach them to sing the Gospel! There are many wonderful hymnals out there, and many have come out recently. They are pricey, so watch for deals. It is worth the investment to have this treasure in your household. Here are a few I recommend. There are things I love and things I don't love about each of them. You can also get digital copies of a lot of hymnals now.

 Hymns of Grace
 Hosanna, Loud, Hosanna 
 Trinity Hymnal - lots of editions of this one. I'd go for one of the newer editions.

It is a wonderful thing to be able to sing together as a family, especially songs that have been in the universal church for generations. I would encourage you to look at getting a hymnal for your family this coming year and singing from it often. Don't be afraid to mark up the pages (can you believe I said that?!). Cherish the words of these songs that echo the message of the Gospel. My Uncle says, "things learned in song are remembered long." Work faithfully so that the things your children long remember are the songs of the faith! I am linking to a Christmas carol and a hymn every day. Please don't get overwhelmed or feel like you are failing if your children can't learn a new song each day. I do sing each song to them after our story, and I review some from previous days. Singing is really important to us, so I have built in time after Bible story to sing. Sometimes, it's just each person picking out a song, but sometimes, it's much more. Be flexible and be willing to lay aside some of your household agendas to sit and sing the Gospel with your children. It is a beautiful thing for me to hear my children singing as we play or walk in the grocery store. It is Grace that I can hear the Gospel coming from the lips of my children. More on this in the coming days with a song list to help you in the new year. A song I linked to yesterday is fitting for today:

We will stand as children of the promise
We will fix our eyes on Him our soul's reward
'Til the race is finished and the work is done
We walk by faith and not by sight
-Getty, By Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment