Monday, December 10, 2018

Day 11: The Promise of Redemption


Then the women said to Naomi, “Blessed be the Lord, who has not left you this day without a redeemer,
 and may his name be renowned in Israel!" (Ruth 4:1)

                   
Read: Ruth and Boaz
  • The Gospel Story Bible: Ruth (100-101)
  • The Ology: God is in Control (25)
  •                    Adopted (160)
Sing: O Come Little Children (the tune) (the text)
I will Sing of My Redeemer
Think: Ruth 4:14
Pray:  Read through Psalm 103 as a prayer with your children
Do: Wheat
For You
Ruth 1:1-4:21
Matthew 1:1-6
   

  Ruth is a story of redemption. This is another time we read and wonder, is God really in control? So many bad things are happening: there is a famine, God's people are making poor choices, and death is everywhere. But even though God's people are not reliable, God is reliable. Even when people don't and can't keep their promises, God can and does!

  This is why we must always read to the end of the story - the story of Ruth and the Greatest Story, the Bible. This is why during Advent, I take my children from Genesis to Revelation. I want them to hear and know that we are not at the end. Something better is still to come - another ADVENT! God works through the unpleasant situations in life and restores them to something lovely. God is a Master Redeemer. God brought Ruth to Israel and to Boaz. God was at work to redeem her (Ruth) for His own. Boaz redeemed her in exchange for payment, and God brought her into the line of the King of Kings, Jesus.

  Simple truth today, but important. Ruth is a story of redemption and how God keeps His promises, just like the story of our lives.  When our lives were hopeless, empty, and lifeless, God sent Jesus to Israel...to us. Immanuel, God with us. This Jesus was an even greater Redeemer than Boaz. Jesus did more than exchange monetary payment. Jesus gave His life - His blood to redeem us. But even this is not the end. In the midst of all our difficulties and uncertainties we face daily, we can be certain that Jesus is coming again for us and that we have the hope and surety of the very good ending He has promised those who trust in His name. God always keeps His promises. He will come again!

Below is a beautiful text by Fanny Crosby. If you aren't familiar with her poetry, you can read about her here.

    Redeemed, how I love to proclaim it!
Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb;
Redeemed through His infinite mercy,
His child and forever I am.
Redeemed, and so happy in Jesus,
No language my rapture can tell;
I know that the light of His presence
With me doth continually dwell.
I think of my blessèd Redeemer,
I think of Him all the day long:
I sing, for I cannot be silent;
His love is the theme of my song.
I know I shall see in His beauty
The King in whose law I delight;
Who lovingly guardeth my footsteps,
And giveth me songs in the night.
I know there’s a crown that is waiting,
In yonder bright mansion for me,
And soon, with the spirits made perfect,
At home with the Lord I shall be.
Refrain
Redeemed, redeemed,
Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb;
Redeemed, redeemed,
His child and forever I am.
Tidings and Tidbits:
  • This is another day where we don't have readings from most children's Bibles on my list. However, Ruth is an important book in the Bible. Read portions of it to your children, even your young ones. Or, simply tell them the story and talk about redemption. The Gospel Story Bible does a wonderful job in tracing redemption to Jesus in today's story. Make sure you put that on your Christmas list if you don't have it!
  • In our culture today, this is also a wonderful story to read to your daughters. God cares about them and loves them and redeems them for His own. They are lovely because He loves them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment