Thursday, August 30, 2018

Spiritual Disciplines: A resource for prayer


Deuteronomy 6:4-9
      
 “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. You shall love the Lordyour God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.



  Long time, no blog ... I decided to take the summer off from my laptop for the most part. I wanted to focus on some of these spiritual disciplines in my life and in the lives of my children. Plus, we had a couple other small things happen - my son had emergency surgery (he's doing great!), we finished (are continuing to finish) a basement, and we had an almost 10 lb baby. But now that school has started back, we are ready to talk about some more ways to practice spiritual disciplines and teach them to our children.






There is fantastic new resource out right now. I have just finished it, and wanted to share it with you. This book (in a series) is written in such an orderly and understandable way for children and adults. In fact, I think every Christian who wants to learn how to pray should pick this one up! I am going through it with my 6, 5, 3, and 1 year old each day. Each lesson explains a concept or some truth about prayer, gives Scripture for you to read (usually 1 or 2 verses), and then asks a few questions. My favorite part is how Nancy gives an example of how to practice the lesson on prayer. After reading the example, you can have your children simply repeat that example, or you can help them practice on their own. And have I mentioned how much I love the author, Nancy Guthrie?! She is one of the most genuine, humble, and godly women I have ever met. If you are looking for a good Bible study for yourself, I highly recommend her most recent series. She is on point with sticking with the text and seeing the big picture.


     Pick up a copy of this book for your family (or for yourself) to work through - and maybe buy a copy to share with a friend. Keep practicing how to pray!





No comments:

Post a Comment